We take seriously the impact of our business activities on the environment. We believe care for the environment is an important part of the way in which we do business. It is our policy to ensure that both our people and our suppliers operate in an environmentally conscious manner.
PKF firms in Eastern Africa have established a steering group which oversees the implementation of the policy and advises the Management on environmental matters. The responsibilities of this steering group include:
- Ensuring that the firm complies with, and where possible exceeds, all current relevant environmental regulations, laws and codes of practice
- Raising awareness about environmental issues
- Considering, and where possible implementing, proposals about reducing our impact on the environment.
The steering group has concluded that the most significant areas of impact arise from our use of resources, e.g:
- Electricity and gas
- Consumables such as paper, plastic and IT equipment.
PKF is committed to improving our environmental performance. We are working to implement the following initiatives:
- considering environmental factors in the acquisition, location and fitting out of office premises
- aiming to minimise the need for travel by using other forms of communication such as telephone, video conferencing or email. If we have to travel we will try to minimise the impact on the environment
- continuing to dispose of our waste in ways which minimise the impact on the environment
- encouraging re-use and recycling
- minimising our consumption of natural resources, for example through investing in initiatives such as the use of low energy appliances and motion detecting lights in our offices
- considering environmental criteria when selecting our goods and services
- working with our suppliers to encourage them to foster similar environmental standards to ours.
As PKF, we are particularly keen that our people fully engage with this policy and feel enabled to take action accordingly. We therefore encourage all of our people to come forward with suggestions to the steering group.